Friday, June 17, 2016

Wanda's Whimsy

Happy to share my entry for Dinner@8 artists special exhibition 'Patterns'

My piece is called "Wanda's Whimsy" measures 40 x 40

all black and white fabrics enhanced by goldenrod embroidery flosses. 
All the flosses used were gifted to me by my best friends mother in law, Wanda. 
She became ill with sundowners disease and no longer crafts. She is an amazing woman who used to make patterns out of newspaper. 


The exhibit will debut at Houston Quilt Show and then go on to Chicago. 
So exciting!!! 

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

What I'm making:Art quilts Bargello

This is one of my favorite patterns to do.  The small Bargello.  I used my newly discovered Okan Arts Yukata fabric from Japan.  I'm adding the hand stitching and it's nice you can see it up close but far away it's very subtle.  I think it works because if it were really noticeable it might be too much with all the movement in the piece already.

No plans for this, just wanted to have fun with some piecing and cutting and piecing.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

What I've been making Art Quilts' Geisha

I found these three Geisha panels I had perfused with stabilizer but never did anything with (can you imagine??LOL)
So in my clean out; use it or donate it mode;  I decided to keep it and stitch up something.  Naturally it was more work than I had intended.  I found the background piece in my Asian stash and it played nicely with the muted tones.  I then learned how to make hexagons from circles and loved the foldy look of origami on the wrong side.  I kept that side up and made little packages.  Next I added Sashiko stitching and bound it.

It's up on my Etsy page for sale if you might be interested.

 The look of the hexagons from the 'wrong' side.


Thursday, May 12, 2016

What I've been making; Bed Quilts

Sometimes I just get a wild hair and then I realize that I need to start making quilts out of all this fun fabric I've been stashing from MQG shows.  
This pattern is from Missouri Star Quilt called 'Good Night Irene' I think.  The tutorial was very fun.
It was fiddly at first making all the four patches but I love how all the colors play together nicely.  There are cats, birds, and modern designs. 

This one is a jelly roll quilt. Moda Zen Chic. I am making this for my Etsy store so need to get it quilted soon.   

This pattern is from Sunday Morning Quilts.  There should be 10" worth of 'wonky' strips horizontal then one bar that is vertical.   

I chose a color palette that is subdued and more ethereal.  There is a lot of text fabric; and some soft blues and greens.   It was fun to do this.  It makes me think of a charm quilt and I love looking at it~  I was just going to make this a duvet cover it's so big but seeing all this busy on my bed might not work for me. 
a better wall shot of the wonky horizontal sections.