As many of you know, I do commissioned work.
I adore beading with a purpose. I had made the Sea Dragon in 2014 for this collector and in 2015 she commissioned another. The Octopus Garden. At the same time I found a scrap of wonderful batik that made the Sea Turtle so I finished them in tandem ( since I had all the beads out (and this takes a 6 foot table full to bursting for a couple months) and she ended up purchasing the Turtle too, much to my chagrin. I really wanted him for myself.
I recently visited her at her home (to pick up cat treats of all things) and she showed me how she had them framed. The colors are true in these photos. Not so much in the framed shots below.
I can't believe I forgot to post the photos of works from last August. Time flies!
choosing the binding
Imagine how gobsmacked I was when I visited my collectors home & saw she had shadow box framed each one and they were proudly on display in her hallway! I totally gasped and no, these photos don't do them justice. For whatever reason my camera phone (samsung*sucky*5) just couldn't get them right and in the very narrow hallway of this gorgeous 100 year old Spanish style home it was impossible to get them straight on.
so hard to get the true vibrant colors.
She said the only regret she has is that she can no longer touch them and feel the beadwork.
I don't blame her.
I have plans to make a 5ft long reef soon. I have all the pieces and beads and now just need the time!
This is one of my favorite patterns to do. The small Bargello. I used my newly discovered Okan Arts Yukata fabric from Japan. I'm adding the hand stitching and it's nice you can see it up close but far away it's very subtle. I think it works because if it were really noticeable it might be too much with all the movement in the piece already.
No plans for this, just wanted to have fun with some piecing and cutting and piecing.
I found these three Geisha panels I had perfused with stabilizer but never did anything with (can you imagine??LOL)
So in my clean out; use it or donate it mode; I decided to keep it and stitch up something. Naturally it was more work than I had intended. I found the background piece in my Asian stash and it played nicely with the muted tones. I then learned how to make hexagons from circles and loved the foldy look of origami on the wrong side. I kept that side up and made little packages. Next I added Sashiko stitching and bound it.
It's up on my Etsy page for sale if you might be interested.
Sometimes I just get a wild hair and then I realize that I need to start making quilts out of all this fun fabric I've been stashing from MQG shows.
This pattern is from Missouri Star Quilt called 'Good Night Irene' I think. The tutorial was very fun.
It was fiddly at first making all the four patches but I love how all the colors play together nicely. There are cats, birds, and modern designs.
This one is a jelly roll quilt. Moda Zen Chic. I am making this for my Etsy store so need to get it quilted soon.
This pattern is from Sunday Morning Quilts. There should be 10" worth of 'wonky' strips horizontal then one bar that is vertical.
I chose a color palette that is subdued and more ethereal. There is a lot of text fabric; and some soft blues and greens. It was fun to do this. It makes me think of a charm quilt and I love looking at it~ I was just going to make this a duvet cover it's so big but seeing all this busy on my bed might not work for me.
a better wall shot of the wonky horizontal sections.