Saturday, April 25, 2009

Canvas Book

My daughter's camera has such hi-res that it takes me forever to resize the photos to post. Here's the Canvas book that was done a few weeks ago.

Front & Back cover: The Peacock 'eye' is captured with a piece of clear cellophane from a page divider. I stitched it down. The 'Bead' was made using sculphy that I rubber stamped & painted. (same as mosaic ATC's)


Same pages with organza dragonfly in between:
The lime green page has newsprint from an Asian newspaper cut into leaf shapes and stiffened with good ol'elmers. The Marsh Wren is hand stamped & watercolored.





My Calligraphy mixed with bird stamps that were water colored.



Page pre-photo shop:

trying to be fancy in photoshop. LOVE! the way the new image draws the eye to different elements than the pre-photo shop image. must play with this more when I have more hours in the day.


Another Organza page that I stamped the hand writing on; it covers 'raw paper' that has leaves in it. The Butterfly (Zebra Swallow Tail) was a picture my daughter took when we were in Big Sur, I printed it out & put it on fusible.


Last two are more 'whimsical'. The bird tag is from K&Company (luv their stuff!).


As promised; Back Yard Visitor to the fruit tree; Wild Parrots. Here's one doing what Parrots do best! Aren't they beautiful!



Ms. Stella O'Houligan makin' a wish!

Friday, April 17, 2009

Mosiac ATC

I'll be mailing these out Monday to the ATC coordinator.
They are 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches.
Mine are entitled 'Your secret's safe with me."



All the embellishments sit atop a gorgeous piece of hand made paper I found. That paper was fused to tyvek for support. Originally, I was going to put lots of things on top but I just didn't like any of what I had and was really drawn to just the simple red piece in the center. This first one is a gift for the coordinator, I like it because it has the rough edge of the paper still on it.



Though simple; there were a lot of techniques going on here. 1. The red 'tablet shard' was made from rolled out sculpy; I took a large rubber stamp that was all script and pressed it into the sculpy and then took a knife and cut it into rectangles. Once it was cured; I painted the surface with acrylic ink.



The 'tassel ends' are all from Bolo ties I collected from a friend. The dark green material was actually a silk carrier rod that I dyed with Calligraphy inks. I sewed them down with some hand dyed embroidery floss.



The Chinese emblems were cut from a bangle bracelet I got at a Claire's store in the mall a few years ago. I affixed them as well as the shards & tassels with glue prior to sewing them down for added security. Then I added the beads. These were really fun; but I hate sewing through ultimately was 2 layers of fabric, tyvek & thick hand made paper that made the substrate.