Affinity

 I'm so excited to share that my quilt entitled 'Ms. Stella O'Houligan was accepted into the Dinner @ Eight Artists Special Exhibit 'Affinity'.  The exhibit will debut this fall at the International Quilt Market and Festival
The size is 40" x 40"  The moon is a piece of tulle that has holographic flecks on it.  I hand quilted it down and used embroider floss, sashiko thread and metallic thread using cross stitches and French knots. I also added sequins, mother of pearl beads and holographic sequin rings. (see the detail shot below with near the hair)
.
I very nearly thought I wouldn't get this piece done. 

 
As most of you know, I helped 19 year old cat Ms. Stella O'Houligan on her journey April 10th. For her eulogy see here: 
and then my mom passed away suddenly on April 24th.

I ended up having to move mom's three room apt into my garage for the time being and much that didn't fit got stuffed into the studio and house.  I don't work well under such cluttered and transient conditions.


But in the end I was able hack some Zen space in my mind and complete this very personal and emotional idea for a quilt.  This design type is waaaay out of my comfort zone but the image came clearly and instantly into my mind one evening.  I was sitting outside where we had Ms. Stella on her blanket when the vet came to the house to administer the shots.  I had started keeping this little ritual since then at the same time each evening toasting my beautiful girl.  At that point I hadn't decided on a design.  

I'm so happy that it worked.  A friend said it's called 'Magical Realism' and was a favorite style of Chagall. After I had finished my piece I looked him up. Very cool indeed. 

I miss her each and every day.
xoxo

 

Comments

  1. What a beautiful piece and such a lovely tribute to Ms Stella. We LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angel Prancer Pie has left a new comment on your post "Affinity":

    Oh Stacy, it's a masterpiece! Love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacy, it brought tears just to look at it. It's so moving and all the figures are so graceful and beautiful, the moonrise over the mountains, the seasonal trees and your figure is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!
    That is so beautiful.
    What a tribute.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts