Free Motion Quilting from the back

I thought I'd post a couple WIP shots and tell how much I love this technique! 

I always find it daunting about figuring out what to free motion quilt on these smaller lap sized quilts when the quilt pattern is so busy.  Since I don't have a long arm, all my fmq is done on my domestic Brother PC2800.  

What I discovered a while ago was the beauty, ease and thrill of quilting from the back.  When I choose the backing fabric for one of these quilts I deliberately chose a repeating pattern for this purpose. 


After I quilted three sets of each pair I quickly grew bored & then would alternate the leaves.   Some are half, some skip entirely.  I think it worked out nicely and was fairly quick to do.   

 

The best part for me is turning the quilt over and seeing the serendipity of where the leaves place.  What you see and what you don't.  

The second thing I will share is that while I whine a bit when I feel the pinch in my purse over buying Aurifil threads, there simply is no finer thread for me on the market.  For piecing, fmq or even hand stitching, hands down the quality is unsurpassed.  

Ask me how often when using other fancy threads and you are flying along every twenty stitches your thread breaks. 

I. Hate. That.  

With Aurifil I can go 7000 miles per hour and it keeps up with me!  No snags, no weird double loop thing back through the needle and no arguments with my bobbin either.  

Also, quilting from the back, they tell you to be careful as the tension is really crucial, with Aurifil in my machine it is simply a non issue. 

I totally heart Aurifil. Worth. Every. Penny!

Happy Sewing!

Comments

  1. Okay - this may have be the next thing I try. Great looking!
    I too am an Aurifil fan !
    I am also extraordinarily fond of Sulky 12 wt for quilting on felt.
    Mostly I use a lot of Masterpiece from Superiors threads as well and I really appreciate the quality, plus their customer service is awesome. I've just not warmed to many "fancy" threads.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts